Belize Reopening for Tourism on August 15, 2020
On Thursday, June 25th, 2020, Belize launched Phase 3 of its 5-Phase re-opening tourism strategy. The official announcement was made by the Prime Minister of Belize for the reopening of the Philip Goldson International Airport on August 15, 2020.
The 5-Phase approach allows for the tourism industry to reopen responsibly and ensuring the safety of the citizens of Belize and its visitors.
The Belize Tourism Board also shared the Travel Entry Requirements where visitors will be required to arrive with a negative COVID-19 test taken within 72 hours before departure, with which they can use the “fast lane” at the airport or undergo testing upon arrival.
Belize will be introducing a Belize Health App that will be mandatory for travelers to download prior to their arrival, which will assist with contact tracing. Other safety measures will include taking temperature checks and wearing a mask while traveling.
Here’s What You Need to Know for Your Travel Plans to Belize:
- All travelers will be required to download an app and fill out forms prior to arrival in Belize.
- Upon arrival in Belize, all passengers will have to adhere to safety and health protocols including, screening, wearing of masks, and social distancing.
- Passengers must be in possession of either a Covid-19 PCR test taken (with the negative result) at least 72 hours before departure into Belize. Passengers unable to provide a PCR test upon arrival must take a rapid test at his/her own expense at the designated airport testing station. A positive result will require him/her to be placed in mandatory quarantine. A negative result will allow the passenger to be cleared but they may be further tested by local health officials.
- Baggage will be sanitized and scanned on newly acquired airport scanners.
- The Airport Authority is also enhancing its sanitization protocols which will include floor markers, thorough sanitization of high traffic areas, and mandatory wearing of masks.
- A safe corridor methodology will be used at the arrival unit of the airport which will make tracing and making exercises easier if required.
- The Gold Standard Certificate of Recognition is being adopted by Belize. Hotels, Resorts, Restaurants, and Tour Operators must develop and maintain sanitization and cleanliness standards.
- Hotels are also being re-opened by phases. The first ones being allowed to open are those that have received the Gold Standard Certification. They will also include those that can provide full services and amenities for guests, including pickup and drop to/from the airport, provision of isolated tours, and in-house restaurants and entertainment.