Belize Reopening for Tourism on August 15, 2020
On Thursday, June 25th, 2020, Belize launched Phase 3 of its 5-Phase re-opening tourism strategy. The official announcement was made by the Prime Minister of Belize for the reopening of the Philip Goldson International Airport on August 15, 2020.
The 5-Phase approach allows for the tourism industry to reopen responsibly and ensuring the safety of the citizens of Belize and its visitors.
The Belize Tourism Board also shared the Travel Entry Requirements where visitors will be required to arrive with a negative COVID-19 test taken within 72 hours before departure, with which they can use the “fast lane” at the airport or undergo testing upon arrival.
Belize will be introducing a Belize Health App that will be mandatory for travelers to download prior to their arrival, which will assist with contact tracing. Other safety measures will include taking temperature checks and wearing a mask while traveling.
Here’s What You Need to Know for Your Travel Plans to Belize:
1. All travelers will be required to download the Belize Health App and complete the required information prior to arrival in Belize.
2. Upon arrival in Belize, all passengers will have to adhere to safety and health protocols including, health screening, wearing masks, and social distancing.
3. It is recommended that passengers bring along a negative COVID-19 PCR test taken within 72 hours of boarding their flight to Belize. Passengers who are unable to test prior to coming to Belize will be tested upon arrival by the Ministry of Health officials at the passenger’s expense. Testing costs US$50.
4. Baggage will be sanitized and scanned on newly acquired airport scanners.
5. The Airport Authority is also enhancing its sanitization protocols which will include floor markers, thorough sanitization of high traffic areas, and mandatory wearing of masks.
6. A safe corridor methodology will be used at the arrival unit of the airport which will assist with contact tracing exercises if required.
7. Belize’s tourism industry has developed a Tourism Gold Standard Recognition Program for hotels, restaurants, and tour operators. The program seeks to adopt new behaviors and protocols to protect the health and safety of visitors, tourism workers, and the wider community.
8. Hotels are also being re-opened by phases. The first ones being allowed to open are those that have received the Gold Standard Certification. They will also include those that can provide full services and amenities for guests, including pickup and drop to/from the airport, provision of isolated tours, and in-house restaurants and entertainment.
For more information and updates please visit the Belize Tourism Board or Belize Hotel Association website.